Salisbury Monument was started in the early 1900's by Mr. T.J. Truitt. During World War II, Mr. Truitt hired and trained Samuel J. Disharoon, IV to work for him as a stonecutter. Upon Mr. Truitt's death, his widow continued the operation of Salisbury Monument until her death in the 1950's. The business continued operation under the direction of the Truitt's son-in-law Mr. Russell Lawson. As a school teacher, Mr. Lawson only kept business hours on holidays and during the summertime.